Thursday, April 14, 2011

Oh, Yeah Chalkboard Bandwagon!

In our house we have a really strange door that we use as our main door even though it's a side door. You all know how that goes right? Well, it has this raised 6 panel trim but only on the back side, that is why it is strange. The door is in really, really rough shape. It looks like someone took a hammer to the trim and just beat on it. I'm not sure what in the world went on here when the previous owners were here.
So, I went ahead and picked up some nice enamel paint from Sherwin Williams and painted the back side of the door & the door trim. We are (or at least I am) planning on replacing the rest of the trim in this area when we redo the hardwood floors this summer, so I didn't bother with painting those gross trim boards.
After the paint dried for about a day I went ahead and taped off the fancy trim 6 panel parts of the door. Sorry no picture but you get the idea.
Then I used some brown chalkboard paint that I picked up at a local scrapbook store. I hardly ever shop at scrapbook stores now. Not that I don't love to look but I mainly use all Stampin' Up! products these days with the exception of a few alterable items here and there. So while I was there dropping off some flyers for a craft expo I ran across chalkboard paint & picked it up.
Here you can see the finished product of one inset. I really like how it turned out. The paint isn't really brown but I'm alright with that.

I love that this can now the the place that I can write reminders, to-do lists, goals, and all that good stuff. I have left the two bottom spots open for Adventure Baby to draw on but haven't quite let her do that yet. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. ;) I did however find dustless chalk at a local craft store so I think that is a $1.99 well spent in my book.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE This! This is the best use of a chalkboard wall/paint I've ever seen! My husband is military and we live on Base but if we didn't I would totally be doing this to my house. Absolutely inspiring~

    ReplyDelete